Audio and Video Recording Room Pilot Project
Due to COVID-19 the UTM Library is currently closed and so the Audio and Video Recording Room is closed at this time.
The Library's audio and video recording room is a pilot project to provide a self-serve space that can be booked to support instructional activities on UTM campus. Instructors can book time in the recording room to create screen casts, podcasts, videos and other resources for their classes. Instructors can also coordinate with library staff to make the room available to students completing audio and video assignments. To book time for you or your class email Instructional Technology support.
The audio and video recording room has been set up to enable the self-serve production of:
- Interviews; and
|Screencasting||Audio Recording and Editing||Video Recording and Editing||Image Creation and Editing||e-Learning Authoring|
|Camtasia Studio||Soundbooth (CS5)||Premiere (CS5)||Photoshop (CS5)||Articulate Storyline 2|
|TechSmith SnagIt||Audacity||After Effects (CS5)||Illustrator (CS5)|
- Alienware X51 Desktop
- 27" Monitor
- Yeti by Blue Microphone
- Sennheiser HD380 Pro Headphones
MyMedia and TechSmith SnagIt
Want to record video or audio from your desktop? TechSmith Snagit provides basic recording and editing functionality and is available to the U. of T. community. Recordings can be stored and delivered using MyMedia, which is the U. of T. Libraries' streaming and archival storage solution and is available to all U. of T. faculty, students and staff.
Below is a short video that contains information on how to create a video using TechSmith SnagIt
Collaborate Ultra can be used for online classes, office hours, and group work. It is integrated with Quercus and can be enabled by following the steps below:
1. Click on Settings in the Course Navigation Menu;
2. Select the Navigation tab;
3. Drag-and-drop the Collaborate Ultra menu item above the line entitled "Drag items here to hide them from students" (alternatively, you can click on the 3 vertical dots for each menu item menu and select Enable);
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the menu items and click the Save button.
Collaborate Ultra Web Conferencing:
There are several key aspects to be aware of when using Collaborate Ultra for web conferencing.
- If sessions are planned for large webinars with more than 250 participants, these need to be set up at least 1 week in advance (please send an email request to U. of T. Mississauga Library Instructional Technology - firstname.lastname@example.org (so Collaborate Ultra is not currently recommended for large courses for snow days).
- It is recommended that the instructor and students NOT to use the phone for audio as long distance charges may apply.
- There can be browser issues, for example with Firefox an extension would need to be installed – this can be problematic if you are trying to share documents. Instructions for specific configuration setups are provided at the Quercus help page at the link below. Chrome tends to work better.
- As well, if you would like to retain a copy of the recording beyond the course date, then it can be downloaded and uploaded to MyMedia (the institutionally supported option for video streaming) and then linked in Quercus or elsewhere if needed.
More information on the Collaborate Ultra Quercus integration can be found on the Quercus Support Resources page.
Additional Resources at UTM
Contact UTM Classroom Technology Support
- Main website - http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/iits/services/classroom-technology to request support for
- General audio/video support
- Special audio/video events, such as conferences, seminars, workshops, etc.
- Webcasting website - http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/iits/services/webcasting to request support for
- Lecture capture
- Live webcasts
- Job talks
- Event room overflow
- Support requests related to the above types of activities
- To view recorded lectures and events go to http://webcast.utm.utoronto.ca/1.aspx
- Videoconferencing - http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/iits/services/video-conferencing for
- Videoconferencing - Set up synchronous meetings with colleagues and others
- Google Hangouts