The UTM Library provides Research Data Management assistance, including the selection of data management planning resources, support for free storage, information on data sharing and long term access. To request a consultation please contact Yayo Umetsubo.
Why Managing Research Data is Important
- To save time and expense through the research project life cycle
- To share knowledge and allow for greater innovation in research
- To comply with government funding and/or journal publishing policies
For an overview of Canadian government funding agency policies, consult the Tri-Agency Statement of Principles on Digital Data Management and Tri-Agency Research Data Management Policy For Consultation [Draft Policy] (SSHRC, CIHR. NSERC)
CIHR Open Access Policy, as it relates to “Publication-related Research Data”
Data Management Planning
Research Data Management should begin with the creation of a Data Management Plan (DMP). Data Management Plans should include the following completed sections:
- Research Project Title and Description
- Data Description (Types? Tools for collection& processing? Who collects, manages, uses? Who is responsible?)
- Metadata Information (What a potential user needs to make sense out of the data)
- Storage and Confidentiality details (Where and how to store? Backup details? Restrictions & access permissions?)
- Retention and Preservation details (What will be kept and for how long? Who is responsible?)
Construct your own DMP with the online DMP Assistant.
The DMP Assistant has a Canadian research focus with it being supported by Portage and the Canadian Association of Research Libraries
Depositing Your Research Data
There are many options for making your research data publically available.
- Supported by UTM Library and staff
- Free space for UTM and UofT Researchers to share data
- Best option for files 3GB or less.
- Private and collaborative space available as well, until you choose to make it open
- Allows for self submissions by UTM or UofT researchers
- Staff assisted deposited also available. Please contact Yayo Umetsubo for more information.
- Upload files that are up to 5GB in size
- 20GB of free private space
- DOI are available for citation of research
- Upload files up to 50Gbs in size
R3data.org - Registry of Research Data Repositories