A GPS or Global Positioning System is a satellite navigation system that allows a person to determine their precise location from almost anywhere on earth. A user can them plot the coordinates using a Geographic Information System or similar technology, and make a map.
The HMALC has Global Positioning System (GPS) devices available for short-term loan to University of Toronto students, staff, and faculty. The Library has 8 GARMIN GPSmap devices available for 24 hour loan.
GARMIN GPSMap 64 Series
- Quad helix antenna and high-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS receiver
- Built-in worldwide basemap with shaded relief
- Water resistant
- Preloaded Geocaches
- High-speed USB connection and connects wirelessly to compatible handheld devices
- 16 hour battery life
- GPS Devices are available for loan on a first come first serve basis for a 24 hour period. Special considerations for longer loan periods can be made by contacting our GIS & Data Support Team.
- To loan a GPS device please visit the Information and Loans desk located on the main floor.
- GPS Loans Policy