You can use the UT Optical Mark Recognition (OMR) Grade Upload tool to upload grades from optical mark recognition software such as Remark Office and OpScan in to the Quercus Gradebook.
It is a good idea to start by creating a Gradebook column for the grades and then ensure the column is muted so that students do not receive their grade or email notifications until you are sure that their grade is finalized.
Part 1: Create a grade column:
- Click on Assignments from the Course Navigation Menu.
- Click the + Assignment button.
- Provide a name for the Assignment (e.g. "Participation").
- Enter the total points for the assignment in the Points field.
- Select On Paper from the Submission Type drop-down menu.
- Click the Save & Publish button. Your new grade column will appear at the end of your Gradebook.
Part 2: Hide grades:
By default, the Grade Posting Policy in the Gradebook should be set to "Manually Post Grades". This means that the grades will be hidden by default and assignment grades are not visible to students until the instructor posts them.
More information on the Grade Posting Policy can be found on the Hide and Post Grades page.
- Click on Settings from your Course Navigation Menu.
- Click on the Navigation tab.
- Enable the UT OMR Grade Upload menu item by dragging it above “Drag items here to hide them from students” or clicking on the 3 vertical dots next to the menu item and selecting Enable.
- Finally, select the Save button found towards the bottom of the page.
You should now see the UT OMR Grade Upload menu item in your Course Navigation Menu.
Part 4: Using the UT OMR Grade Upload tool:
- Select UT OMR Grade Upload from your course menu.
- On the UT OMR Grade Upload page, click on the Browse button to upload your Scantron file, and then click the Upload Grades button.
- On the Update Grades page, either select the "Upload grades for an existing assignment" and then choose the assignment that you created using the "Part 1" instructions above, or select "Create a new assignment and upload grades" and enter an assignment name and the points possible.
- In the section below, assign the student number column to the Gradebook Student Number column and the raw score column to the Grades column.
- Select the Update Grades button.
You should now see the Scantron grades in your Gradebook and you can unmute the column when you are ready to share them with your students.
- If the grades are hidden you will need to post them when you are ready to make them available to students.
- Ensure that there are no additional spaces between the data and the headings and if you are uploading a file with headings, please ensure the checkbox File contains column headings is selected.
- If you are uploading a file with no headings, then please ensure there are no additional rows between the top of the worksheet and the data and also ensure that the checkbox File contains column headings is not selected.
- If you are experiencing issues with uploading your file, then please try saving the file using Save as to the format CSV (MS-DOS).
More information on the UT OMR Grade Upload tool can be found by following the link below.